E-mail MeWilliam J. Severni
Following his admission to the Connecticut State Bar, William Severni was a Public Defender for the State of Connecticut for ten years and has been in private practice for the past twenty years. His primary concentrations are criminal law, probate and real estate transactions.
Bill has represented clients in all phases of criminal litigation, from initial arraignment through trial. He has also had extensive experience representing individuals charged with serious motor vehicle offenses, including Driving Under the Influence, representing them both through the criminal system as well as at the Department of Motor Vehicles during per se hearings, often winning full restoration of their operator's licenses.
Bill has extensive experience representing both individuals and lending institutions in commercial and residential sales, purchases, leases, refinancing, reverse mortgages and foreclosures. Additionally, he has been appointed by the Superior Court in Connecticut to act as Committee on behalf of the Court for foreclosures.
A resident of Avon, Connecticut for over fifty years, Bill has been active in both Town and Community affairs. He has served on numerous town boards and volunteered for numerous civic associations. Bill served as a member of the Avon Board of Education from 1974-1977, a member of the Avon Board of Finance from 1991-1994 and a member of the Avon Water Pollution Control Authority. He also served on the Avon Democratic Committee from 1974-1997 and he is a former member of the parish council at St. Ann's.
Bill is an avid and passionate baseball fan and has coached in Avon Little League, Avon Jaycee Courant Baseball Team, Trinity College Baseball (1982-1983), and has served as a board member for the Avon Little League (1997-2002). Golf is another passion and he has served on the Board of Governors for the Golf Club of Avon (1989-1995), Chairman of the Green Committee (1990-1995) and Treasurer (1992-1993).
Areas of Practice
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate
- Criminal Defense
- Probate and Estate Planning
- Defense of Motor Vehicle Offenses
- Connecticut, 1978
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1978
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 1977
- Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts
- B.A. cum laude - 1974
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: John Woodruff Simpson Law Fellow
- Major: American Studies
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 1978 - Present
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member, 1978 - Present
- Hartford County Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, Member
- Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- BNI, Farmington Chapter, President, 2007 - Present
Past Employment Positions
- State of Connecticut, Assistant Public Defender, 1977 - 1987
- Kantor, Mickelson & Meyers, Principle, 1997 - 2004
- Delta Upsilon